Just days after Apple released iOS 4.3.3, the hackers behind the redsn0w jailbreak utility have updated their software to let you perform an untethered jailbreak. By jailbreaking your device, you gain the ability to install apps that aren’t available from the iTunes App Store, including software which changes the look, feel, and deep system behavior of your iOS device.
Redsn0w 0.9.6rc15 should work with an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, 3rd or 4th generation iPod touch, a first generation iPad, or a new Apple TV. The application is available for Windows or OS X. Mac users can also use the latest version of the PwnageTool to jailbreak iOS devices.
Before you get started, there are a few things to note. First, if you have an iPad 2, these tools won’t work. Second, if you’ve used ultrasn0w to carrier unlock your phone you’ll want to use sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool so that you can install a custom ipsw since the latest version of ultrasn0w (available from the Cydia Store) doesn’t support the latest iPhone basebands. For everyone else, using redsn0w is the easiest way to jailbreak an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, and the steps are pretty much the same as for jailbreaking iOS 4.3.1 or 4.3.2.
Here’s how to do it:
- Use iTunes to update your device to iOS 4.33.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6rc15 from the iPhone Dev Team.
- Unzip and launch redsn0w.
- Select browse and find the iOS 4.3.3 ipsw file which should be in your iTunes directory if you recently updated your phone’s operating system.
- It will take redsn0w a moment to process the file. Click next when it’s finished.
- Redsn0w will show a progress indicator as it prepares to load files.
- Select the options you want, for instance, installing the Cydia store for jailbroken apps.
- Click next.
- Make sure your iPod is powered off and connected to your computer.
- Click next.
- Follow th eon-screen instructions and a) Hold the power button for 3 seconds b) Keep holding the power button and also hold the home button for 10 seconds c) Finally, release the power button, but continue to hold the home button for 15 seconds.
- Redsn0w should reboot your device and display lines of code on the screen followed by a walking pineapple and a progress bar.
- When your device reboots you should see an icon for the Cydia store on your home screen.
It sounds complicated, but the process is actually pretty quick and painless — although your results may vary and there’s always a risk that you could damage your device or lose files and settings when jailbreaking. You’ll want to make sure to back up your device to iTunes before you begin.