The folks at the iPhone Dev Team have just released another beta version of the redsn0w jailbreak utility. You can use the new tool to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 6 on most recent iPhone and iPod touch models, as well as a first generation iPad.
Jailbreaking allows you to run apps that aren’t available in the App Store and access files and settings that are normally hidden away. The latest jailbreak tools are aimed at developers that write apps for jailbroken devices, allowing them to test their apps before Apple officially launches iOS 5 to the public.
Redsn0w 0.9.8b6 provides a tethered jailbreak, which means you’ll need to connect your phone to a computer to run the software the first time… and again any time you shut down and restart your mobile device.
The developer behind the sn0wbreeze jailbreak and custom firmware utility recently released a version that supports iOS 5 beta 6 as well, but redsn0w is a little more user friendly since it doesn’t completely replace the firmware on your device.
Here’s how to use redsn0w to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 6. These instructions are written for Windows, but they should be similar if you’re using a Mac.
- Install iOS 5 beta 6 and boot normally.
- Do a clean shutdown by sliding to power-off before you start the jailbreak.
- Download redsn0w 9.8b6 from the iPhone Dev Team.
- Unzip the file and extract the contacts to a folder.
- Open that folder and run resdn0w.exe.
- Click the browse option and the directory where your IPSW files are hanging out should open. If not, you’ll have to navigate to find the appropriate folder.
- Choose the iOS 5 beta 6 IPSW.
- Once redsn0w processes the file, click Next and watch the progress bar.
- Choose any options you want to enable (such as installing the Cydia Store for apps that run on jailbroken devices).
- Click Next.
- Make sure your device is powered off and connected to your computer with a USB cable.
- Click Next and then follow the on-screen instructions (hold the power button for three seconds, while holding the power button, also press the Home button for 10 seconds… then release the power button but keep holding the Home button for 15 seconds).
- Your device should reboot, run some code, and eventually show your home screen with a Cydia app.
Right now redsn0w 0.9.8b6 is aimed at developers, just like iOS 5 beta. But Apple is expected to launch iOS 5 to the public this fall, and it’s likely that the steps for jailbreaking the final software will be quite similar.