Apple has released iOS 5.1. It’s the version of Apple’s mobile operating system that will ship with the new iPad, but it’s available for download today for supported iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad models.
Here’s what’s new in iOS 5.1:
- You can now delete photos from Photo Stream.
- The camera shortcut is always visible on the lock screen for the iPhone 3GS and later and 4th generation iPod touch.
- Camera face detection will now show all available faces.
- The camera app has been redesigned for the iPad.
- iTunes Match subscribers can now use Genius Mixes and Genius playlists.
- There are playback speed controls for podcasts and a 30-second rewind option for the iPad.
- Battery life bugs should be fixed.
- Audio should be louder and more clear when watching movies and TV shows on an iPad.
- Siri now recognizes Japanese.
Apple is making iOS 5.1 available for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S, the iPad 1 and 2, and the 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch.
You can download the update through iTunes or by visiting the Settings/General/Software Update section on your mobile device.
If you have a jailbroken device you’ll probably want to avoid this update until tools are available to re-jailbreak a device running iOS 5.1.
Update: It’s now possible to jailbreak older iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad models running iOS 5.1 using redsn0w — but this is a tethered jailbreak only, and there’s no support for devices with Apple’s new A5 or A5x processors.